BMW, the world’s leading premium car brand, has been segment leader for 19 of the last 22 years in Australia.
BMW delivered 18,413 luxury cars and Sports Activity Vehicles* in 2012, an increase of 5.2% compared to 2011.
BMW Group Australia Managing Director, Phil Horton said 2012 saw the BMW brand go from strength to strength in Australia.
“Despite highly competitive market conditions demand for BMW in Australia is stronger than ever,” said Mr Horton.
Sales highlights for BMW include:
- The flagship 7 Series has again won its competitive class for the fourth consecutive year, since launching in 2009
- The BMW X5 remained Australia’s most popular large luxury SAV, outselling brand new competitor models
- X3 sales increased by almost 20%
- The 5 Series Sedan has topped its class again for the second year in a row
- The all-new sixth generation 3 Series has seen an uplift in sales of more than a third compared to last year
- The new BMW 1 Series Hatch has outsold its competitors with sales up by 60% compared to 2011
“In spite of new competitor entrants the BMW X5 remains the performance benchmark and the most sought-after vehicle in its class,” said Mr Horton.
“It is also especially satisfying to see BMWs flagship model, the BMW 7 Series, again outsell its competitors,” he said.
Mr Horton said the result bodes well for the brand in 2013.
“With a number of exciting new models on the near horizon, as well as the unveiling of our brand new i Car series, 2013 looks set to be another landmark year for BMW,” said Mr Horton.
*BMW measures the premium segment on the basis of luxury passenger cars and Sports Activity/Utility Vehicles.